On Sunday 16th December, Brook Farm Residents Association held their very first Children’s Christmas Party at The Fromus Centre, Seaman Avenue, Saxmundham. There were around 40 children with their parents or guardians who saw them become creative with all sorts of craft work including making Christmas biscuits and decorating baubles. Father Christmas turned up with[...]
Police are appealing for information following a number of incidents in Saxmundham overnight Friday 4th to Saturday 5th January. A blue Vauxhall Astra was stolen from Brook Farm Road in Saxmundham sometime between 5pm Friday and 9am Saturday. The burnt out vehicle was later found at Landseer Park in Ipswich. Damage was also caused to the ignition[...]
As per our recent newsletter, BT are upgrading our Exchange: On 26-Jun-12, we’ll be upgrading your local phone exchange. That means you’ll get a stronger, more reliable broadband connection. (It might make it a bit faster, too.) What will happen on the day? At some point before 6pm, we’ll switch off your broadband and phone[...]
Minutes of the Management Committee Meeting
Tuesday, 16th February 2010
8pm at The Bell.
|1.||Present at meeting:
Neil Thomson, Frank McGowan, Terry Barrow, Ian Tickle, Andy & Lorraine Rodway, Kurt Norman and Brenda Gibberd. Guest: Ken Howe reprsentingh Saxmundham in Bloom.
|2.||Apologies for absence
Apologies were received from Barry Jones and Tracy & Matt Brindad.
|3.||Saxmundham in Bloom.
As minuted at the last meeting, Sax in Bloom are holding a dance on 6th March 2010 and have asked BFRA if they may borrow our bar equipment and help them to organise the purchase of beer and spirits on their behalf. A discussion followed to sort out the logistics. It was agreed that we will order the beer from Adnams – 1 barrel of Stella; 1 of Carlsberg and 1 of John Smiths. They have two bar people of their own and Tracy and Matt have agreed to help set up and will also assist with working the bar. Tracy has agreed to purchase spirits etc from Makro and some concern was expressed about how she was to be reimbursed. Initially it was decided that Sax in Bloom would pay her and BFRA as soon as possible after the event – hopefully within a day or two. Subsequently, however, the meeting agreed that a better idea would be for Tracy to take what what owed to her and to BFRA out of the bar takings on the night.
Frank circulated a financial statement for the month. There has not been very much activity since last month. Outgoing totals £184 including hire of Market Hall, refund of the petty cash float and the rental fee to The Lawn Ranger for use of the lock-up. With money owing to us, this leaves us with a credit balance of £652.35 which includes the petty cash. We still owe the White Hart a keg of lager and Neil will ask Dave at The White Hart how he wants us to handle this, ie. Do they want a replacement keg?
Concern was expressed that we appear to be paying rather a lot for Stella. Frank agreed to talk with Tracy and either he or she will contact Adnams to clarify this to see if we can get a reduction to ‘charity’ rate.
New Year 2010
Brenda has written to Maddie Gallop to book the Market Hall for this event and has received an e-mail confirming it is OK. It was suggested that if we are to clean up the hall the following day, this should be started no later than 11 am in case they have another function booked.
Music Night May 29th 2010
The hall and music have been organised and we need only to get the alcohol licence. Terry suggested that it will be cheaper if we get one license to cover all the events this year, i.e. Music Night, Summer Fun Day and New Year, and he agreed to do this. (We do not need to include the October Music Night as this is provided by the Market Hall). Neil said he will investigate what charity we have agreed to support with the raffle. Terry will book the band for New Year’s Eve. He will ask for a contract so we know what our obligations may be in the event we find it necessary to cancel the event.
Children’s Halloween Disco, 30th October 2010
Ian will telephone the man who did the children’s Halloween disco and book him again, if available.
Summer Fun Day, 24th July 2010
Terry has arranged for a mega slide to be brought along together with a bungee run, bouncy castle and gladiator game. They will charge £2 for 5 minutes on the slide and, probably, £1 each for the other things. We will receive 20% of their takings. In addition we will have the beer tent. It was agreed that we would not go to the bother of running our own food and drink stalls this year but ask someone like Prestige Foods to take this on and pay us a percentage of profits. The small tennis court is available together with the belly dancers and maybe the Fire Engine people. Anyone else who wishes to set up a stall may apply to do so for a small contribution to our funds as long as we do not have to run it.
Neil suggested it is essential we get a newsletter out well before the summer fun day. He has been in touch with Leiston Press about their charges and they have agreed to print 350 copies for £100 and for 650 copies they will charge £150. Neil is happy to prepare this providing he gets some contributions! June and November are suggested for newsletter dates. Neill will e ensure that the front page is ‘punchy’ along the lines of “We need your membership money”! Brenda had also obtainbed an estimate of printing costs from
the man who does the church’s Contact magazine, but their estimate was not particular competitive.
Ian repeated what he told us at the last meeting – that it is impossible for him to take such an active part in the membership drive as usual. He will, however, prepare the membership cards and provide details of the road reps and their areas. After some discussion, Frank agreed to contact the road reps and generally co-ordinate this. Long Avenue and its off shoots no longer have a road rep so Lorraine and Andy agreed they would take this on. Tracy and Matt have already told Terry that they will do the Heron Road area. Neil said he will collect all the data from Ian and pout them into a format that will be easy to administer and check.
LR & AR
TM & MB
|Any other business
Neil expressed concerns about the increasing number of A2B taxis that are being parked both in Brook Farm Road and, more recently, Hubbards Close. The meeting agreed these vehicles can sometimes constitute a hazard as well as being a nuisance as they park opposite side roads and close to junctions and corners. This is particularly dangerous during icy weather and often causes the road to become blocked when the refuse vehicles are doing the collections. The meeting agreed we should make contact with the local Highways Department about this and Kurt said he will e-mail them or telephone.
Andy would like to borrow the smaller awning for a private party in his garden on 10th April. The meeting agreed to this request.
The meeting set the date for the AGM for Tuesday, 20th April 2010. It was decided to hold this at The Bell rather than the school to save some money and in the hope that the availability of drinks may create more interest to Members. We need to get some leaflets out and Brenda said she will prepare a draft and Ian said he would run these off.
Neil said he had been contacted via the web site asking whether would run a disco for Nick and Jill Jones. Their daughter is going abroad and they are anxious to raise some money to help fund this. Neil explained to them that although we are prepared to offer our advice we are unable to run it for them and amongst other things they need to think about how they are going to sell tickets, i.e. Door to door; they will have to hire a hall; they will have to purchase any alcohol in advance; they will need to organise music.
|8.||Date of next Committee meeting
Tuesday, 23 March 2010, 8pm at The Bell.